Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <raul@usatoday.com> writes:

 Raul> On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 10:45:17PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

 Raul> [Of course, if we have both dynamic and static versions of
 Raul> these programs there's the added complexity of deciding to
 Raul> switch which program you're using under non-emergency
 Raul> circumstances -- which is a plausible argument in favor of not
 Raul> having two distinct instances/versions of the same program.]

        I would think that the staticversions of the binary would not
 be upgraded as frequently as the shared library one -- one would only
 upgrade them when the shared version has been known to work well for
 a while (same reason why my productin system are running lsink).

        Given that, it makes sense to use the more uptodate binary in
  general use, and only use the static binaries as a fall back option.

        manoj
--
 A bird in the hand is worth what it will bring.