Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 08:55:17PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 07:32:03PM +0200, Bart Schuller wrote:
> > Or the building of packages using fakeroot?
> >
> > To solve that one we'd either have to change all of Debian to build
> > correctly with SHELL being something other than /bin/sh, or the "known
> > good" shell can't be /bin/sh ...
>
> Why?  fakeroot is basically a mechanism for surrogate storing of
> user information, and /bin/sh doesn't have a way of changing the
> ownership files/directories (except by invoking another program).

Bash has "test" (or "[") as a builtin command, so it wouldn't see the
changes that another program makes.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed