Re: laetos (was ITP: detect (library that provides hardware detection))

Hi,

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
> Interesting to see this very interesting library come from Laetos,
> just moments after reading that Laetos exists.
> I read that Laetos is a French-based Debian derivative geared for
> ease-of-use, something I think we're all interested
> (esp. w.r.t. initial installation).
> Based on their task list <URL:http://www.laetos.org/en/tasklist.html>
> they seem to have a lot of overlap with what Corel and the
> boot-floppies team is working on.  Does anyone know of any
> coordination or interoperation, or, if not, why there might not be
> some sharing here?
I'm the main coordinator from the LætOS project, and right now, there is
no coordination between LætOS and Debian, but I hope it will change... ;-)
Our goal is to provide a Debian-based distribution for the general
public. We would like to offer an alternative to MS Windows for all.
All graphical, mouse-based configuration, etc.
To get more informations, go on our website (it's not very up to date, but
there is some important things).
We discuss 2 or 3 month ago about a graphical configuration program, I
think the concept of this software is quite new (the configuration
front-end is module-based and each module is describe in one text
file. Thanks to that, a program can add a configuration module into
LætConfig only providing a .PICrc (the name of the modules text files
description extension) file. I think this idea is very powerful and
interesting (it's not mine :).
We discuss a lot about this program, but the project is sleeping because
we haven't enough developpers. Many guys of this project have good ideas,
but we can't go forth without more developpers [Mandrake has employed the
most productive, and now, he can't work for us anymore :-( ]
So if some of you are interested in helping us, I think we can do very
good work.
What about Debian and LætOS working together ?

LætOS need developpers to finish the installation program, and the
installation integration (boot --> detect's launch --> X --> LætInstall).

The main objectives are the installation program (LætInstall) and
LætConfig and the spirit of this project is the same as Debian : only
Free/Open Source Software. That's why we don't like much Stormix.

Thanks to all of you, you produce *very* good software (I'm a long-time
Debian supporter :)

For any information, ask me.

PS : if you decide to help us, we can have something good to show at the
end of the year, I think.

--
Éric BARROCA		       |  Main Coordinator of the LætOS project
E-Mail : ebarroca@linuxfr.org  |  E-Mail  : <laetos@laetos.org>