Re: Proposal: Network configuration file format

Paul Slootman wrote:

> On Thu 05 Aug 1999, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> >
> > > Rene> # The ISDN connection to the outside
> > > Rene> network "isdn" { ...
> > > Rene>   # Maybe we should put in the ISDN settings here too (telephone
> > > Rene>   # number, protocol, ...)
> > >
> > >         I think it should do. Having all the info centralized
> > > somewhere helps making it easy. However, I don't know the case of
> > > ISDN, but on PPP (dialout) there's currently a nice setup to have
> > > different chatscripts and peers to login. If ISDN has something
> > > similar [I'm sure], it'd be nice to be able to define, somewhere
> > > inside the ISDN/PPP stuff, or perhaps outside, as it is done now (as
> > > /etc/chatscripts) stuff like this:
>
> ISDN basically doesn't have chatscripts and such (you can use "regular"
> PPP over a X.75 link which is a sort of tty emulation, but that's not
> advisable). You configure an interface with phone numbers, timeout,
> etc., and ipppd handles the authentication stuff directly via pap/chap.
> Note you need to tell the interface what phone number _from_ which to
> dial, as an ISDN line can have more than one number, and you generally
> want to specify one certain number e.g. for billing purposes.
I am working with an ISDN line here and it works wonderful ! Thanks for
the great package.

> > I think this is a very good idea. At the first stage I did not want to
> > go this far (when I was alone ;-) ), but it is an option. We should
> > discuss this with the maintainers of isdnutils and ppp.
>
> I've been reading all of this (I'm the isdnutils maintainer),
> unfortunately not paying all that much attention until I saw ISDN being
> mentioned. I'm all for adding ISDN to the network configuration scheme,
> and will be happy to cooperate wherever necessary.
Great ! I'm glad to hear that from one of the maintainers of a network
package.
I am going to post a little summary of the comments on this that I
recieved up to now (I hope it won't take too long).

best greets
Rene