Re: Proposal: Network configuration file format

On Thu 05 Aug 1999, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:

> > Rene> # The ISDN connection to the outside
> > Rene> network "isdn" { ...
> > Rene>   # Maybe we should put in the ISDN settings here too (telephone
> > Rene>   # number, protocol, ...)
> >
> >         I think it should do. Having all the info centralized
> > somewhere helps making it easy. However, I don't know the case of
> > ISDN, but on PPP (dialout) there's currently a nice setup to have
> > different chatscripts and peers to login. If ISDN has something
> > similar [I'm sure], it'd be nice to be able to define, somewhere
> > inside the ISDN/PPP stuff, or perhaps outside, as it is done now (as
> > /etc/chatscripts) stuff like this:

ISDN basically doesn't have chatscripts and such (you can use "regular"
PPP over a X.75 link which is a sort of tty emulation, but that's not
advisable). You configure an interface with phone numbers, timeout,
etc., and ipppd handles the authentication stuff directly via pap/chap.
Note you need to tell the interface what phone number _from_ which to
dial, as an ISDN line can have more than one number, and you generally
want to specify one certain number e.g. for billing purposes.

> I think this is a very good idea. At the first stage I did not want to
> go this far (when I was alone ;-) ), but it is an option. We should
> discuss this with the maintainers of isdnutils and ppp.

I've been reading all of this (I'm the isdnutils maintainer),
unfortunately not paying all that much attention until I saw ISDN being
mentioned. I'm all for adding ISDN to the network configuration scheme,
and will be happy to cooperate wherever necessary.

Paul Slootman
--
Better, faster, | home:   paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
cheaper:        | debian: paul@debian.org   isdn4linux: paul@isdn4linux.de