Re: Unsupported Debian [was: Re: [New maintainer] Working for De

Alex Shnitman wrote:

> I applaud you for actually doing something instead of just talking.
> In most cases it's the right thing. But I think that in this case it
> will do more damage than good, since it's a slippery slope. IMHO it's
> better not to have some packages at all, or maybe do have them a
> little later through Raphael's sponsors idea, than to start unofficial
> .deb distribution sites. Since it's much easier to do the latter than
> the former, I'm afraid that more and more people will start doing it,
> and we will end up with a non-commercial version of Red Hat that
> happens to use dpkg instead of RPM.

I disagree.  If we admitted new maintainers quickly, and if we
released more often than once a year (like every 6 months), then
we wouldn't need this.

I, for one, still run slink and was happy to deb XFree debs for
it (since two machines I have wouldn't run without them).  So
that's part 1:  getting potato packages compiled for slink, since
we can't get potato out the door.

Part 2 is helping to appease prospective new maintainers who
can't get into debian until potato is out (another 6 months?).
This is significant, but a lesser issue than getting recent
software into the hands of users.

Peter <psg@debian.org>