Re: Possible ITP: Rescue Package

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > > 1. Does it supply all of the commands as builtins that are found in
> > > fileutils?
> > > 2. Does it supply mount/umount, or sulogin(I think I have that right)?
>
> I forgot to mention an editor here as well.

It provides ed. I don't see why you would normally need an editor to fix a
system with a broken libc, though, and once libc is fixed you have any
editor you like available.

> > Why would you need sulogin? It has all the rest:
>
> Under certain circumstances the system can only be repaired in single user
> mode. Without a static version of sulogin, it is not possible to log into
> single user mode.

Er, if you use init=sash, you get dumped right into a shell. No need for
single user mode, or logging in. The only advantage I see to single user
mode is you can get a rw filesystem, but you can just remount it rw from
inside

--
see shy jo