Re: Possible ITP: Rescue Package

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > 1. Does it supply all of the commands as builtins that are found in
> > fileutils?
> > 2. Does it supply mount/umount, or sulogin(I think I have that right)?

I forgot to mention an editor here as well.

> Why would you need sulogin? It has all the rest:

Under certain circumstances the system can only be repaired in single user
mode. Without a static version of sulogin, it is not possible to log into
single user mode.

As the man page suggests:

DESCRIPTION
       sulogin  is  invoked  by init(8) when the system goes into
       single user mode (this is done through an entry  in  init-
       tab(5)).  Init  also  tries  to execute sulogin when it is
       passed the -b flag from the bootmonitor (eg, LILO).

and then later in the ENVIRONMENT section:

       sulogin looks for  the  environment  variable  SUSHELL  or
       sushell  to determine what shell to start. If the environ-
       ment variable is not set, it will try  to  execute  root's
       shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to
       /bin/sh.

       This is very valuable together with the -b flag  to  init.
       To  boot  the  system into single user mode, with the root
       file system mounted read/write, using a special "failsafe"
       shell that is statically linked (this example is valid for
       the LILO bootprompt)

       boot: linux -b rw sushell=/sbin/sash

Sounds useful to me ;-)

> > help
> alias      [name [command]]
> cd         [dirname]
> -chgrp     gid filename ...
> -chmod     mode filename ...
> -chown     uid filename ...
> -cmp       filename1 filename2
> -cp        srcname ... destname
> -dd        if=name of=name [bs=n] [count=n] [skip=n] [seek=n]
> -echo      [args] ...
> -ed        [filename]
> exec       filename [args]
> exit
> -grep      [-in] word filename ...
> -gunzip    filename ... [-o outputPath]
> -gzip      filename ... [-o outputPath]
> help       [word]
> -kill      [-sig] pid ...
> -ln        [-s] srcname ... destname
> -ls        [-lid] filename ...
> -mkdir     dirname ...
> -mknod     filename type major minor
> -more      filename ...
> -mount     [-t type] [-r] [-m] devname dirname
> -mv        srcname ... destname
> -printenv  [name]
> prompt     string
> -pwd
> quit
> -rm        filename ...
> -rmdir     dirname ...
> setenv     name value
> source     filename
> -sync
> -tar       [xtv]f devname filename ...
> -touch     filename ...
> umask      [mask]
> -umount    filename
> unalias    name
> -where     program

Wow! That's an impressive set!

However, I believe that some folks will want an editor with more features
than ed, don't you think?

Luck,

Dwarf
P.S. Keep talking, you about have me worked out of this job ;-)