Info (was: Re: Working for Debian is not just about packages)

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 01:47:06PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Even emacs fans have said `info sucks' on this list in the past.

And even emacs fans have said it does not suck.  I can easily understand
different POVs on this matter, but what I can't understand is summary
labeling of info as worthless crap.

> I read info files using zgrep and zless myself. Only way to make them
> bearable. info is extremely non-intuitive.

I don't intend to go into that argument now (is there an intuitive
interface?).  I can only say that I've found info to be by far the best
software documentation format for myself to read save a printed book,
especially when it's API docs.  Info sucks, but the alternatives suck
more.

Info is horrible format to write, but this can be remedied by using
preprocessors and format translators.

(BTW, why can't libc docs be read in XEmacs 20 info?  Bug? Where?)

   "... memory leaks are quite acceptable in many applications ..."
    (Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)