Re: Policy for default mount points?

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 07:54:29AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> /mnt            ... anything temporarily mounted
> /m/a            ... floppy
> /m/cdrom        ... cdrom
> /m/zip          ... zip-drive (ext2)
> /m/zap          ... zip-drive (vfat)
> /m/NFS_host1    ... host mounted via nfs
> /m/NOVELL_host1 ... host mounted via ncpfs
>
> So I have a single dir for all external file systems and my / is es
> empty es possible.  In any case I try to keep / small.
> The people who deal with policy should have two or three minutes to
> think this idea over.

I think it's a local administrator issue. It's completely your own decision
where to mount these things. I think it is just too hard to provide somewhere
for it. I find subdirectories of /mnt hideous, but I have no problem with
making new directories in the root! Somebody did point out that the FHS
prohibits new directories in /, but that just means that Debian can't
make them for you -- the local admin is of course free to do so.

Looking at your above mounts, I would use instead:
/mnt for temp mounts, mtools for floppy, /cdrom for cdrom, /zip for zip
disks, and some others for NFS/ncpfs stuff.

A query: where do people do real work on their Debian systems?
For any group projects, it's ugly to work in someone's home directory.
The FHS doesn't suggest a good place. At one of my jobs (a very small
company) we have a directory in /usr/local, but we do all our work off
on private machines and just use that place for transfer. At my other job
(a big company) we have a new top level directory, which I think is the
only really practical way to do it.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).