Re: Policy for default mount points?

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 07:54:29AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> why I have the following setup:
>
> /mnt            ... anything temporarily mounted
> /m/a            ... floppy
>

> So I have a single dir for all external file systems and my / is es
> empty es possible.  In any case I try to keep / small.  The people
> who deal with policy should have two or three minutes to think this
> idea over.

Yes, I would like to do something like this, to avoid having the
default mount point deep in the hierarchy like /var/lib/psion/mnt or
whatever it will end up being... However, creating a dir off of /
(such as /m) is forbidden by the FHS. I know that some other packages
do it anyway, but I feel uncomfortable with doing it. Why have a
policy if I choose to ignore it? :-)

The problem is, as I see it, using the best 'legal' alternative, it
ends up being hard for the user to use, and they'll likely end up
changing it to something easy like /psion or /mnt/psion anyway. Which
partially defeats the purpose of using somewhere else...

The package I built and made available (see message with subject "New
p3nfs package") is using /var/lib/psion as the default mount
point. However, someone has pointed out a problem with that, so it
will probably be changed to /var/lib/psion/mnt, or even
/var/lib/p3nfs/psion or /var/lib/p3nfs/mnt since the directory under
/var/lib should probably be named after the package (although a quick
scan through the FHS doesn't have anything to say about this).

--
Matthew Gregan                                  kinetik@ihug.co.nz