Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian and becoming a registered Debian developer

Panu Hällfors <panupa@iki.fi> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 12:05:49PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Yes, when I launched this thread I only wanted to hear about future
> > maintainers interested by this solution.
>
> As an interested maybe-to-be maintainer I think this sponsoring
> system sounds good. It kind of makes you interact with other
> developers and get "in" in the every-day maintaining.
> Just being able to say "Hey mom! They say I'm a Debian developer now!"
> doesn't really mean you're part of the community.

I sort of have a sponsor, since I meet another debian maintainer
pretty much on a daily basis, but still he not realy willing to upload
packages for me, because then he would be responsible for them and he's
perfectly right with that.

If a sponsor has to read everything I write to check for backdors, he
could probably write the stuff himself and if he doesn't read it,
security is lost.

I'm against sponsoring, since I see it only as a waste of time to
other maintainers.

But maybe debian could get a new directory dedicated to want to become
maintainers, called untrusted or similar, where all people who want to
become maintainer get access rights first before becoming real
maintainers.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin