Re: Modified start-stop-daemon and possible boot logo (was: Translation of init scripts)

David Bristel <targon@targonia.com> writes:

> I agree, the idea of cute little graphics showing up next to the
> start/stop of a package makes me ill just thinking about it.  Even
> the Redhat 6.0 way with it's green "OK" or red "Failed" made me ill
> because it supressed the errors when something failed.  Sure, it
> LOOKS nice for the enduser, but the boot sequence is where you NEED
> to see what's going on if you need to troubleshoot a problem on
> boot.

And how often does anyone watch their system boot?  If this is going
to take much effort at all, I really think there are better things we
could spend those resources on.  Perhaps the things that get in your
face all the time.

Of course if people are motivated, and this is what they really want
to do...  and as long as I can turn it off if I don't like it, knock
yourselves out.

I will agree that a little more user-friendlyness on the boot console
wouldn't be all bad for new users, perhaps a message telling people
how to scroll back, stop, etc.  But that would have to be carefully
considered since what's appropriate varies depending on where the
messages are being displayed (i.e. serial consoles, etc.)