Re: Modified start-stop-daemon and possible boot logo

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 01:10:50PM -0700, David Bristel wrote:
> I agree, the idea of cute little graphics showing up next to the start/stop
> of a package makes me ill just thinking about it.  Even the Redhat 6.0 way

I would like it - it would attract users to Debian which is good ;-)

> with it's green "OK" or red "Failed" made me ill because it supressed the
> errors when something failed.  Sure, it LOOKS nice for the enduser, but the
> boot sequence is where you NEED to see what's going on if you need to
> troubleshoot a problem on boot.

Don't you think the error messages would just confuse the end user? Anyway - I
don't know how it is done in RH6, but DLD uses the same colorization for the
boot scripts. The output is in german, and error and warning messages are
stored in /var/log/boot.

That stuff was pretty amazing for me - you could see if something goes wrong
with only a glance. And, BTW: After going through all the init scripts it
printed a summary of failed services. This is a great improvement over the
Debian boot concept.

cu
    Torsten