Re: Freeze Goals -- WAS: September release

On Sun, Jul 18, 1999 at 04:17:25PM +0200, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > > We can go for freeze, with NULL RCB's.
> >
> > That's simply not true. There have been RCB's in packages like dpkg in
> > most of our releases. Other RCB's are in packages that are frankly just
> > not that important: if they don't get fixed, we can drop the package
> > before release. But we need a freeze so we can start making the tough
> > decisions like that.
>
> Yes, the decisions is that we do this _before_ we go to frozen. Not during
> the freeze time. I hope you understand why.

I don't see that it's possible to that right now. Let's say that package
X is a fairly new package with some pretty serious bugs. (It basically
doesn't work.) Under the current structure, we have unstable, frozen,
and stable. A broken package doesn't belong in stable, obviously, and we
should kick it out of frozen if it doesn't look like it's fixable before
release. But now you want to throw it out of unstable as well? We just
don't have a mechanism for doing that. If you want to make a proposal,
great. But I don't think that's something we can do this freeze.

Mike Stone