Re: Freeze Goals -- WAS: September release

On Sat, Jul 17, 1999 at 02:12:50PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 othman@cs.wustl.edu wrote:
>
> > I know of at least two sets of packages that will break.  My ACE and
> > TAO packages will break since there is a bug in gcc 2.95 that occurs
> > when a user overloads the C++ new operator with exception handling
>
> APT is also uncompilable with the new G++, lots of little things that I'm
> not certain if they are compiler bugs or language requirements..

So, can the new g++ hold off for a couple of months, or do we really
need to have the newest possible version (complete with unknown
problems.) Unless I missed something, the only release-critical gcc bug
is on the alpha. Can we upgrade to the new release on that architecture
only? (With the reasoning that it's already broken there, anyway.)

Mike Stone