Re: Modified start-stop-daemon and possible boot logo (was: Translation of init scripts)

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 12:14:13AM +0200, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, David Bristel wrote:
>
> > I agree, the idea of cute little graphics showing up next to the
> > start/stop of a package makes me ill just thinking about it.  Even the
> > Redhat 6.0 way with it's green "OK" or red "Failed" made me ill because
> > it supressed the errors when something failed.  Sure, it LOOKS nice for
> > the enduser, but the boot sequence is where you NEED to see what's going
> > on if you need to troubleshoot a problem on boot.
>
> On a standard system, you'll have linuxlogo to clear the screen right
> after those errors are displayed. Right after that, {k,w,x}dm will start
> X, which will clear the scrollback buffer. Once X is started, the error
> messages are gone for ever.

... and its even more anoying on a system with a serial console if you
forgot to turn on the attached terminal.

> Perhaps errors at boot time should be logged to the kernel log, so that
> 'dmesg | less' will show them. Is that possible? Otherwise, they could be
> redirected to a file. Even without all the fancy boot logo stuff, I think
> this would be a useful addition to the boot process.

I thought of writing a /usr/bin/tee like program. It is started from inittab
or /etc/init.d/rc and catches stdin/err. In addition to forwarding its input
to the console, it saves everything into a buffer. On a certain signal/exit
it appends the buffer to /var/log/bootlog or that like.

Rainer

--
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB