Re: September Release?

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 04:28:05PM -0700, David Bristel wrote:

> For 3.0, I'd guess the replacement of dselect with apt-find,

i know it's early days for apt-find, but i found it to be hopelessly
confusing - no indication at all of what is going on or what it is
doing.  i'm sure that that will improve, though.

however, apt-find shouldn't replace dselect. it should be offered as an
alternative to dselect. dselect is still very useful, and works very
well with apt as the install method.

(i don't think dselect is as hard or as bad as people like to make out)

> as well as to do a more "Redhat-like" install, where we don't need to
> have every type of hard drive controller compiled in in order to be
> able to install with different hardware.

> I know the WD7000 probe would break on MANY systems with an Adaptec
> controller installed.

the WD7000 card is ancient and quite rare these days - the driver
should probably be dropped from the boot disks. adpaptec controllers
are extremely common....i haven't noticed it conflicting with adaptec
controllers (i build lots of systems with aic7xxx cards) but if it does
conflict with adaptecs then wd7000 should go.

we shouldn't completely drop support for obscure hardware, but common
hardware should take precedence.

maybe we should make a separate rescue disk for any drivers for
ancient hardware that have to be compiled into the kernel (e.g. disk
controllers)...say anything which hasn't been made for 3+ years.

users would choose either the "standard" rescue/install disk or the "old
hardware" rescue/install disk. on the cd-rom, syslinux could have an
option to choose "standard" or "old".

craig

--
craig sanders