Re: September Release?

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:29:14 +0200
> From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: September Release?
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 08:00:52PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 01:39:16AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > But yes, I will protest most strongly if we freeze before I get 3.3.4
> > > packaged.  I got way too much grief from people for leaving 3.3.2.3 in
> > > slink even though our freeze schedule pretty much made that decision for
> > > me.
> >
> > If we have a short freeze-time this should not be an issue.
> > On the other hand, it would be good to have some definate goals for
> > potato so that we can actually know when is the right time to freeze.
>
> The las time this was discussed it was determined better not to have release
> goals anymore. Just freeze, fix bugs, release.
>
> > Why not wait for Linux 2.4 while we're at it?
>
> No! This will delay us another few months I am sure.

This will definately delay us, but by how much is anyone's guess.  I'd not wait
on 2.4 though.  We DO need to have goals though.  glibc 2.1 and 2.2 kernel as
the basis was what I thought were the big ones this time around.  apt-gnome will
also be in there I believe.  For 3.0, I'd guess the replacement of dselect with
apt-find, as well as to do a more "Redhat-like" install, where we don't need to
have every type of hard drive controller compiled in in order to be able to
install with different hardware.  I know the WD7000 probe would break on MANY
systems with an Adaptec controller installed.  We need to avoid show-stoppers
like that.  This was discussed for a while, but I don't remember a resolution.
Does anyone know?

							Dave Bristel