Re: Q: US keyboard layout and umlauts ?

Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> I hope this problem is not too off-topic: In potato, how can I write
> german umlauts with an traditional US keyboard layout ?

Interestingly I was trying a similar thing the other day.  Only US
keyboards here. :-)

However, if it is just the layout, I'd say, switch to de*.map and
switch back after use.  With this US keyboard, it didn't work.

If you only need umlauts in texts, I'd ask you to use Emacs and
iso-accents-mode especially.  Using it, just type "s to get an ß.
I've hooked it on M-i so I can switch whenever I want and in whatever
mode I am.  I've heard, that vim has a similar thing.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Unix is user friendly ...  It's just picky about its friends.