Re: Q: US keyboard layout and umlauts ?

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 12:18:33PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > I hope this problem is not too off-topic: In potato, how can I write
> > german umlauts with an traditional US keyboard layout ?
>
> Interestingly I was trying a similar thing the other day.  Only US
> keyboards here. :-)
>
> However, if it is just the layout, I'd say, switch to de*.map and
> switch back after use.  With this US keyboard, it didn't work.
>
> If you only need umlauts in texts, I'd ask you to use Emacs and
> iso-accents-mode especially.  Using it, just type "s to get an ß.
> I've hooked it on M-i so I can switch whenever I want and in whatever
> mode I am.  I've heard, that vim has a similar thing.

Well, I'm used to using an US mapping with an German keyboard.

Changing the keymaps just for replying to an mail is no option
IMHO. The bad thing about iso-accents-mode are the side-effects: Try
pasting an typical URL into your text: http:°www.xyz.orgåbout is not
unusual ;-)

I'm looking for an better solution.

	Gregor