Re: Q: US keyboard layout and umlauts ?

Previously Martin Schulze wrote:
> However, if it is just the layout, I'd say, switch to de*.map and
> switch back after use.  With this US keyboard, it didn't work.

Why not simply define a compose key? This works perfectly for me.
For X-windows I have the following line in ~/.Xmodmap (use
/etc/X11/Xmodmap if you want to set this globally):

     keycode 115 = Multi_key

That turns the left windows start-key in a compose key. For the
console you can do something similar; try running the following
command:

    echo "keycode 125 = Compose" | loadkeys

For the console you can also edit the compose-keys available, see the
keymaps(5) manpage for details.

> I've heard, that vim has a similar thing.

Vim has digraphs. Look in vim's excellent help for how to use and
configure them.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl