Re: Q: US keyboard layout and umlauts ?

"J.H.M. Dassen" <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
> 	   XkbVariant      "pc104:compose"

I think that should be "pc104compose".  Anyways, people experimenting
with US keyboard layouts can look in /usr/lib/X11/xkb/us and en_US for
possibilities.

What _I_ would like is an option to have XKB set the <LALT> key to
generate Meta_L and not Alt_L, which would be consistent with (at
least my) console and not so awkward for my fingers.  Currently, I
have to run xmodmap to set that key (as well as to specify modifier
bits for programs which are hardcoded to expect certain modifier bits
to have certain meanings).

All in all, my impression of XKB is that it is a good idea, hampered
by great lack of support in both enduser applications as well as
configuration tools.  Does anyone know if the next release of X will
address these concerns?

-ccwf