BSD-like 'make world' - possible?

Hello!

I have some suggestions for Debian. I'm programmer and I use Linux for my
projects. When I set up a distribution on a computer, I have to compile a
"few" packages to fit my needs. (kernel, netatalk, samba, apache, bind, gcc,
egcs...)

I thought it would be a very good idea when it would be possible to
recompile the whole distribution.
benefits:
- Download the source-code for one distribution and recompile it for any
platform you need (i386, i486, Pentium, Alpha).
- It would be possible to take the best optimization for the processor,
and
- when you recompile everything, it should be 'clean'.

drawbacks:
- little differences in device-naming, scripts and configuration files.
(do you know any ways to get around this problems???)

Please mail me what you think about it.

Thomas Kotzian

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net