Re: BSD-like 'make world' - possible?

Thomas Ko <thomasko321m@gmx.at> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have some suggestions for Debian. I'm programmer and I use Linux for my
> projects. When I set up a distribution on a computer, I have to compile a
> "few" packages to fit my needs. (kernel, netatalk, samba, apache, bind, gcc,
> egcs...)
>
> I thought it would be a very good idea when it would be possible to
> recompile the whole distribution.
> benefits:
> - Download the source-code for one distribution and recompile it for any
> platform you need (i386, i486, Pentium, Alpha).
> - It would be possible to take the best optimization for the processor,
> and
> - when you recompile everything, it should be 'clean'.
>
> drawbacks:
> - little differences in device-naming, scripts and configuration files.
> (do you know any ways to get around this problems???)

Those drawbacks are irrellevant. Debian packages must run on all
architectures specified for, so normally all.

> Please mail me what you think about it.

find <mirror> -name "*.dsc" -exec build_if_not_present {} \;

and build_if_not_present would do the following:

test if $1 is present
TMPDIR=tmpdir
mkdir $TMPDIR
cd $TMPDIR

Test source depends on $1 and compile/install all packages needed

dpkg-source -x $1
cd $1 (mangled to the dirname)
debuild
cd ..

The main problem with this is the part about source dependencies. Some
packages have them, most dont. Maybe you should make a policy proposal
about this.
Also after compiling all packages your system will be trashed, since
many additional packages will be installed along the way and won't be
removed. The savest way would be to make a chroot system that you wipe
after each package. Falk Hueffner and me wrote a script that used a
chroot system to compile packages, while automatically detecting
source dependencies, but it depends on libtrick, which doesn't work at
the moment, esspecially on alpha.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin