Re: anyone want to package SCOOBS? (GPL'ed XML Search Engine)

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> eichin@thok.org (Mark W. Eichin) writes:
>
> > SCOOBS is an XML-smart search engine that was recently GPL'ed; I'm not
> > sure I'll have time to build it, but if it gets packaged I'll
> > certainly use it :-)
> >
> > http://www.scoobs.com/about.html
> >
> >      * [June 25, 1999]   SCOOBS XML Search Engine Now Open Source.
> >        Troy D. Milner (Monash University) posted an announcement to the
> >        effect that the SCOOBS XML Search Engine is now open source, viz.,
> >        governed by the GNU Public License. SCOOBS (Search and
> >        Classification Of Object Based information Sources) is a 'Context
> >        Based Search Engine' that "allows for the context to be derived
> >        from an XML document. This means that we can now search for
> >        documents that exhibit a certain context. We can search for 'plum
> >        pudding', that has a context only of a 'recipe', and SCOOBS will
> >        return 'plum pudding recipes', and not 'plum pudding' from
> >        restaurant menus and the like. SCOOBS also returns XPointers to
> >        exact locations in XML documents, and allows users to locate
> >        sub-documents of documents. Now you can travel from a search
> >        result straight to the position in a document where that search
> >        information is located. SCOOBS offers a very unique merged XML
> >        output, where you can request that it gathers all the XML
> >        documents of your results and merge them together, removing all
> >        the irrelevant information in the original document." For other
> >        information, see the SCOOBS Web site.
>
> That looks really interesting.  I'll take a stab at it this weekend.  :-)

Upon further inspection, I see that it needs:

 * Java Servlet Development Kit version 2.0 or later.
 * Java Development Kit version 2.0 or later.
 * Open Database Connectivity with Microsoft Access data driver.
 * Web server capable of running Java Servlets

So, I'll pass on it for now.

Cheers,

 - Jim