Re: Number of Debian packages [was Re: iMatix Open Source software]

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 01:06:05PM -0700, John Lapeyre wrote:
>   How often is the Packages file regenerated ? Every day ? there could
> be a directory on the mirror with diffs for the past thirty days, and
> apt could download one of these. Then the Packages would have to be versioned.
> This sounds impossibly complicated :( .   Won't we all have optical fibers
> at home in a year or two ?...

Optical fibers .. heh, I wish.. Canberra, .au is taking steps forward, though.
(Unfortunately not where I live ;)

There should be an rsync option for Packages.gz in apt, imho..  Assuming of course,
rsync does indeed give a sufficient benefit.. and enough mirrors support it.

I would like control (Dependencies, etc) changes to be possible without a
complete new package upload.  A forgotten dependency on a large (thinks: tetex)
package really sucks.

Especially since most hard-core Debian users - maybe even most - use Debian
from the net.. A CD is just convenient for initial installation..  In fact, I
think we should just scrap the release idea .. frankly they get in the way of
a good distribution. ;)  We need branches of packages.. like CVS.. If we are to
introduce a package with the potential to break things, stick it on an unstable or
testing, or a branch of it's own.. </IDEALISTIC RANT>

--
 Robert Thomson -- Just call me Sir  -=|   UNIX is user friendly.  |=-