Number of Debian packages [was Re: iMatix Open Source software]

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 10:14:45AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Before packaging them, I suggest to look at alternatives. The number of
> packages in potato increases in a frightening way (yes, I know it's partly my
> fault).

Did we ever intend to restrict the number of packages in Debian ?
If we've got 8 httpd packages I see, except for license or technical (e.g.
security) issues, no reasons why we shouldn't allow more httpds in the
distribution ? Debian was always about choice and as long as somebody is
properly maintaining the packages I don't think we should change.

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de