Re: Number of Debian packages [was Re: iMatix Open Source software]

*John Hasler wrote:
> Jason Henry Parker writes:
> > What *could* be convenient would be to make each Section: of the archive
> > aptable.
>
> What would be *really* convenient would be some way to download only the
> changes to the Packages file.  It can take me up to 15 minutes to complete
> an 'apt-get update'.

  How often is the Packages file regenerated ? Every day ? there could
be a directory on the mirror with diffs for the past thirty days, and
apt could download one of these. Then the Packages would have to be versioned.
This sounds impossibly complicated :( .   Won't we all have optical fibers
at home in a year or two ?...

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org