Re: ITP: fdisk-pc9800

At 19 Jun 1999 01:27:27 -0700,
Chris Waters wrote:

> Standard (and esp. required) is for stuff that *everybody* needs, not
> just everybody with a specific brand of hardware.  Even if the package
> is required for that hardware.

Is Extra OK, even if this package must be needed by a installer
to partition a hard disk for NEC PC9800s?

> (Hardware as opposed to architecture, of course.  If it's necessary
> for a given arch, then it should be Priority: required on that arch,
> but I'm assuming that the NEC PC9800 is arch i386, rather than being a
> whole new port of Debian.)

NEC PC9800 is arch i386, but it's nothing but i386(i.e NEC PC9800
has just i386 family as CPU), so some features are different from
PC/AT's i386. For example, the kernel, informations of partition etc...
But, most of binaries can work on it, of cource.

Or should we make new arch `binary-pc9800'?
But it faces many problems. So currently in Debian JP Project,
we have made new version `potato-pc98' so that what is needed
by only PC9800 such as fdisk98, grub98, kbd98 or xserver98 etc
is to be available only for PC9800's users.

----
Masato Taruishi <taruis-m@jed.uec.ac.jp> | University of Electro Communications
                <taru@debian.or.jp>      |   Department of Computer Science
                <taru@sunicom.co.jp>     |             Senior
http://www.sunicom.co.jp/~taru/          |       Chofu City Tokyo, JAPAN
   Key fingerprint = 49 46 74 E1 8D D1 EB 56  8D CA 2A 20 14 9E A9 25