Re: KDE liscence question

Steve Haslam <araqnid@debian.org> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 02:42:03PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > The new qt has a free licenze. Thus is goes into main, thus it is a
> > system library, or not?
>
> That would mean every single library package in main would count as a
> system library- which is ridiculous IMHO. The term "system library" is
> too vague to be of much use here. Personally, I don't regard much
> outside of libc as a system library, certainly not X.

Yes, its cery vague. Thats the problem. I think that its stupid to
kick kde out of debian, just because qt is qpl and not gpl. Also
system libraries should be libraries that are awaylable on every
debian system, which a qt in main is, as all libs in main are.
Everything in main has a free license and its stupid to denie programs
to link against other free libraries and the only way for GPL to allow
this is to declare those free libs in main system libraries.

Kde should have used lgpl or another free license, but now they cant
change it anymore and this fight about what kde might link to and what
not is stupid and not in everybodies intrest.

MfG,
	Goswin