Re: final version of the new logo needed

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 09:50:55PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Isn't PNG appropriate for that? IIRC three of the most popular used
> > browsers today support PNGs, and that is just about every visitor of
> > www.debian.org.
>
> A lot of people use older browsers that don't support PNG, so using
> it for websites which get/want a large audience is probably not a good
> idea. (I even got some emails about people not being able to view the
> graph of release-critical bugs, which is a png..).

This is exactly the reason the webpages have not been converted. My plan
has been to move to PNG when mozilla is officially released. We (the
webmasters) have tossed around the idea of using content negotiation
for the images. That may be implemented, but not until our current
headaches regarding content negotiation are fixed (*).

Jay Treacy

(*) If the number of complaints regarding a problem with the website
scales linearly with the number of users, then Debian the number
of Debian users has at least doubled in the last year.