Re: final version of the new logo needed

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 09:50:55PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Isn't PNG appropriate for that? IIRC three of the most popular used
> > browsers today support PNGs, and that is just about every visitor of
> > www.debian.org.
>
> A lot of people use older browsers that don't support PNG, so using
> it for websites which get/want a large audience is probably not a good
> idea.

It is arguable that the number of people using older browsers can be
described as "a lot of". To my knowledge, the number is >5%.

It is also arguable that it is more important to send a message by not using
a proprietary "standard", than to maintain compatibility with old software.
If we thought different, we wouldn't have *any* graphics on the web pages,
since not all people can see them.

Although it's not a big deal after all... let's just get the logo in place :)

> (I even got some emails about people not being able to view the
> graph of release-critical bugs, which is a png..).

What if I sent you an e-mail, how I can't see the image since I use Lynx
over a VT102 interface, every time I went to the rel-crit-bugs page?