Re: Why is ..... ? (/var/www, in this case)

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 09:10:40PM -0500, David Welton wrote:
> Do we have any repository for rationales of "policy" decisions?  For
> instance, I'd like to see why we use /var/www, but I can't find that
> anywhere.  I think I have all the doc packages installed where it
> might be located, however, I'm not having any luck.

Related thoughts:

- rationale should mention the purpose of the www-data user and group
- web documentation should describe in more detail how they're intended to
  be used, especially that web _documents_ should not be owned by them.
  (BTW, for this reason I don't understand why /var/www is root.www-data)
- rationale should describe the purpose of all default entries in
  /etc/passwd and /etc/group

Andrew