Re: ip-{up,down} scripts

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> Why not check the device?  It is in $2.

I have similar requirements, except that mine revolve around whether
I'm dialing the Internet (1 of 2 providers) or one of my clients.  Of
course this means that generally all connections go out on ppp0.

The way I deal with it is to set pppd option on the relevant diald
command lines:

  ipparam internet

and then in the /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d/ scripts that are internet
dependent I have:

case "${PPP_IPPARAM}" in
  internet )
    [DO WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE]
  ;;
esac

Of course, this is fairly specific to my setup, and means that ipparam
is not available for whatever else you might want to use it for, which
is why I've not tried making it the default setup.

I'm not convinced that there is a way of doing this that caters to all
the bizarre and interesting setups that are out there --- please prove
me wrong.

Cheers, Phil.