Re: ip-{up,down} scripts

On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 08:29:54PM -0400, Remi Lefebvre wrote:
> Here's a modification I did to the ip-{up,down} main scripts that sets
> a variable that tells the scripts if the connection is local or not.
> It can afterward be used by the packages script to act consequently.

The definition of "local" is a little vague, to say the least... You
define it merely as being a host in /etc/hosts, which wouldn't work
for me since I do practically all hostname<->IPaddr mapping through
bind...

I think what you wanted was to have a generic parameter "LOCAL" to be
sent to ip-{up,down}.d fragments, so package maintainers can guess
whether their script should be run or not...

imho, this sort of decision should be entirely made by the system
administrator, and not by package maintainers.

For example, I have /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim:

>#!/bin/sh
>
># Flush exim queue
>if [ -x /usr/sbin/exim ]; then
># SRH: only if connected to Demon
>    case $PPP_REMOTE in
>        158.152.*.*)
>            /usr/sbin/exim -qf
>            ;;
>    esac
>fi

Which does the job just as well (imho).

There is a case for including example scripts of how to change
resolver/proxy configuration according to which provider you're
connected to, however I don't see the LOCAL parameter on its own
gaining much.

JMHO,
SRH
--
Steve Haslam               Debian GNU/Linux               araqnid@debian.org
gnome-libs, gnome-core, gnome-control-center, gdm, p3nfs.    what, me worry?