Re: Release-critical Bugreport

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Edward Betts wrote:

> > Package: smail (main)
> > Maintainer: Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>
> >   35092  smail crashes!
>
> Lost mail, scary, no ideas.

I think I am experiencing this same bug with smail. On my system, smail
crashes with signal 11 at the smtp 'quit' command (xinetd says it is
signal 11). At that point, the message is already stored in
/var/spool/smail/input/. A subsequent 'runq' command will deliver the mail
to the user's mailbox. On my system, the user 'mail' has a crontab which
runs 'runq' three times an hour, so it took a while for me to notice I
have this bug. I don't think I have lost any incoming mail.

BTW, smail has had this same bug before. I think it was during the libc5
-> libc6 transition.

Remco
--
rd1936: 11:15pm  up 4 days, 14:44,  5 users,  load average: 1.56, 1.39, 1.39