Re: Creating a dynamic group `jazip' (or not)?

Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 02:54:39PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > My jazip package is almost ready to be uploaded (jazip is an X tool to
> > easily mount and unmount Iomega Zip and/or Jaz drives). It is
> > suid-root and gives all users the ability to mount and umount zip and
> > jaz devices.  I'm contemplating creating a group jazip as a means to
> > let sysadmins control user access by changing permission and group
> > ownership of the jazip executable like so:
> [snip]
>
> Hmmm. My personal feeling is against another group. I can see a Zip drive
> being used in one of two ways:
>
> a) as a hard disk
> b) as a floppy
>
> In case a) the normal behaviour of needing to be root would be fine - you
> could specify "user" in the mount options in /etc/fstab.
>
> In case b) just use the "floppy" group to control access. After all, Zips
> are just large floppies :-)
>
> If it's a case of needing to be suid to access /dev/sda (or wherever) to
> eject the disk then maybe there is some way you could use /proc/parport/ppa
> (or whatever - I don't have my drive with me ATM).

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> suggested I re-use the floppy
group.  That's a good idea (even if a Jaz is a _big_ floppy).

BTW, it needs to suid root to send SCSI commands; I can't use
/proc/parport/ppa because a lot of Zip and Jaz are SCSI devices
and not parallel-port; Allowing stuff like the `user' option is
a nice idea, I'll forward that upstream.

Peter