Re: Creating a dynamic group `jazip' (or not)?

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 02:54:39PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> My jazip package is almost ready to be uploaded (jazip is an X tool to
> easily mount and unmount Iomega Zip and/or Jaz drives). It is
> suid-root and gives all users the ability to mount and umount zip and
> jaz devices.  I'm contemplating creating a group jazip as a means to
> let sysadmins control user access by changing permission and group
> ownership of the jazip executable like so:
[snip]

Hmmm. My personal feeling is against another group. I can see a Zip drive
being used in one of two ways:

a) as a hard disk
b) as a floppy

In case a) the normal behaviour of needing to be root would be fine - you
could specify "user" in the mount options in /etc/fstab.

In case b) just use the "floppy" group to control access. After all, Zips
are just large floppies :-)

If it's a case of needing to be suid to access /dev/sda (or wherever) to
eject the disk then maybe there is some way you could use /proc/parport/ppa
(or whatever - I don't have my drive with me ATM).

2 cents

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org