Re: How to handle the jargon file?

Edward Betts wrote:
> ESR's perfered format is html. The jargon file is now avaliable as a single
> 2Mb html file jargon.html, which works quite well, if it does take a little
> while to load into lynx. The other option is a .tar.gz file containing all the
> html but each entry is a seperate file. I have done some work to see if I can
> package it, included is a perl script jargon-search for /usr/lib/cgi-bin to run
> searchs which I have yet to get working.

The main thing I don't want to see change is the current "jargon" command.
I'm used to being able to type "jargon foo" and get to the definition of
foo. I don't really care if it continues to use info, or some other viewer,
just so long as the base command stays the same. It seems to easiest way to
manage that would be to use lynx (or sensible-browser if we get that) to
pull up the correct html file.

> I noticed that Steve Greenland sayed he was going to remove his jargon package
> because he did not think that it should be part of Debian. I disagree, I think
> the jargon file is an important part of hacker folklore. One of the main
> reasons that I selected Debian as my OS rather than Redhat was that Debian
> included a copy of the jargon file.

Jargon belongs here.

--
see shy jo