why equivs won't (yet) work for metapackages

In message <[🔎] 87k8u47egl.fsf@haitech.martin.home> you wrote:
>I will use equivs to get the skeleton, then change the needed things
>(I think I add an option to specify a README.Debian file on the
>command line or in the control file). equivs builds the package, but
>it leaves the tree. This is the one thing I will change and then
>rebuild. You can import that tree into CVS and use it like any other
>package.
>
>Or you can put the equivs control file under cvs control (and the
>README.Debian after I added this function).

I would prefer this, since I don't like putting derived files in
CVS.

>Tell me about other options/feature you need, and I will implement
>them as far as it is possible.

I absolutely, positively, need to be able to (a) have a local
override of README.debian.in (should probably be README.Debian.in,
BTW), and (b) a local changelog, and (c) a local copyright file.
Finally, why does equivs want to run dpkg-buildpackage at all?
That's a big mess and shouldn't be done, or, if done, should
be done properly (no source or signing is done currently, so
it's not uploadable).

The lack of the changelog and copyright control is a crucial,
crucial problem.

I suggest you rip up equivs again, and change the following:

. allow files in the same dir as the control file to exist, and
to override the template files or be extra files which goes into
the debian subdir (this solves the changelog, copyright, etc issues).

. when you run dh_gencontrol, I suggest you run 'dh_gencontrol -u-isp'
(I don't understand why this isn't the default)