Re: evan leibovitch and the LPI certification tests

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 07:24:40PM -0700, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> Ever tried mass-installing Debian? It's simply impossible -- complete, new
> debian installations take at least two hours of babysitting.
>
> This makes debian a product VA is incapable of marketing.
>
> Of course, there are ways around this, like imaging drives and whatnot. But,
> as someone else mentioned, it costs them money, and they have the right to
> expend those resources, or not, as they choose.
>
> --
> ..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
> 	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org
> 	Debian GNU/Linux:	http://www.debian.org
>
> "...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
> 	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, actualy i have semi-mass installed machines...I did 30 or so machines,
all i really had to do was put all the packages i wanted to install into
a single dir that i nfs mounted(from the base system).  i dpkg -i'd those with
a program i wrote that parsed the output of dpkg, and gave the answers i
specified.  Now, i admit this wasn't the best way to mass install, because
it did take me 10-20 minutes to get the base system installed, so this
is probably too long for a company like VA, but it should be entirely possible
to mass install debian, if debian would put some work twords it.

Erik Bernhardson
journey@jps.net
--
"[T]he last thing I want to do is spread fear, uncertainty and doubt
in [the users'] minds."