Re: evan leibovitch and the LPI certification tests

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 10:49:09AM -0400, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:
> > I find it offensive that you attack VA research,
> > who provides many of the resources we enjoy
> > as Debian developers.
>
> That's MY opinion. Not necessarily yours. I can't get a system without
> RedHat preinstalled from VA Research last I checked, they never returned
> my calls, so as far as I'm concerned, they're about as good a company as
> Compaq or Microsoft. They're more concerned about PR via donations, and
> making money, than they are about customer service.

VA has been saying that sooner or later they're going to start offering
Debian and many people inside VA are working to make it sooner rather
than later.

I'm not worried about it, there's nothing inherently BAD about Redhat.
Granted it's not the same caliber of distribution that Debian is when it
comes right down to rock solid stability, but so what?  It's still Linux,
they still value Free Software...  Granted they happen to ALSO value
their profit margins, but there's NOTHING WRONG with that.

VA does a lot for Debian, a lot for individual Debian developers when
they need it, and a lot for the Linux community in general.  Been to
themes.org recently?  VA hosts it---and in fact they hired Trae.
www.debian.org is actually va.debian.org, a VA machine using VA's
bandwidth.  pandora, our new non-us machine..  VA donated it.

Even the monitor I'm sitting in front of right this minute...  VA donated
it to me personally because I could barely read the one I had even in
text mode.  It's a 19" monitor that I can use (depending on what I'm
doing) anywhere from 800x600 to 1153x864 in X, whereas before I could not
even RUN X!

VA has done a LOT for a LOT of people.  They aren't clueless, they aren't
trying to rape the community while they promise things they don't
devliver.  They have never once tried to do something that hurts the
community for a quick buck.  They've never played games with us.

I've said before that I think we have almost nothing to fear from the
likes of Micro$oft.  We have more to fear from the people who are harming
us from within our own ranks.  There are companies out there who are
hurting us badly, but Redhat and VA Research ain't among them.

How many months are we going to be behind them [Redhat] with a glibc
release?"
        -- Jim Pick, 8 months before Debian 2.0 is finally released