Re: Hints about future improvements

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 02:51:20AM +0200, Gabor Fleischer wrote:
> I was thinking about this, and there's one thing which is not the
> best it could be, I think: Let's see libc, and the packages that
> are compiled from the same source, for example locales.
[...]
> There could be a value in the control file like: Last-changed-version or
> something similar. apt/dselect could decide from this wether it
> needs to download this package or not.
[...]
Or, we could try to depricate giving the source-package and all of it's
associated binary-packages the same version number, even when there are no
changes -- more work for the maintainer, without a dought (more places to
change the version-number, needing to check in which bin-package the version
number should increase, and what _versioned_ interdependincies the packages
should have... but it would significantly decrease the bulk of packages that
need to be upgraed (glibc-doc and libc6-dev especially).

	-=- James Mastros
--
First they came for the fourth amendment, but I said nothing because I
wasn't a drug dealer. Then they came for the sixth amendment, but I kept