Re: (LONG) Correct non-US solution

Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org> writes:

> How do you figure Joey?  Some countries will let us distribute patented
> stuff... other countries will let us distribute crypto stuff...  The scheme
> proposed does do away with non-US, by making its original functionality so
> fine-grained that it disappears into the rest of the distribution.  Or am I
> missing something here?
>
> And, according to comments I've heard from others, you are wrong.  Most
> countries outside the US *do* allow export of crypto, so our situation would
> change pretty dramatically. suddenly a lot more currently "non-US" packages
> would be on a lot more mirrors, and thus harder to stamp out, and the laod
> would be much better distributed among our mirrors.  Again, am I missing
> something here?

I can think of one thing that seems to have been missed:

  To where do we upload packages ?

Are we going to end up with a situation where we have to have the
uploads to the Cayman isles, or some such ?  Or do we end up with a
separate site for non-US type stuff, with the rest going to master ?

It seems that we'll just get back to the situation we already have.

Perhaps a better goal (although significantly more difficult) would be
to design a system where we can have multiple symmetric masters, where
you can upload to any of them, and the propagate packages amongst
themselves.

Cheers, Phil.