Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Joel Klecker wrote:

> At 15:14 +0200 1999-05-12, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >I think the issue is the different way that different ppc systems uses to boot
> >from the CD. I am not entirely sure how amigaos does this, but i bet it is
> >different from macos ...
> >
> >Sure, we could choose not to be cd-bootable, best would be to d othis the same
> >way it is done for linux/m68k cds ..
>
> For power macs, we don't need to worry about bootable CDs, most of
> them have Open Firmware that is too broken to even be capable of
> booting from either a cdrom drive or a iso9660 filesystem.
> The few macs that have reasonable OF should be able to boot from an
> arbitrary executable residing anywhere on the filesystem.

The non-mac CHRP boards (LongTrails etc.) also use OF I believe.  Are
their OF's so broken that they don't work properly as well?  Perhaps APUS
and PReP (and I'm talking PPCBUG firmware not OF systems) are the only
ones we need to worry about.  Interestingly enough, Motorola dropped OF
because it was so damn buggy.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com