Re: Wish to orphan or kill: dbuild; Or: Is it of any actual use?

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 11:06:22AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> My nightly dbuild cron job has started to fail. I haven't had time to
> investigate why, and before I allocate the time, I'd like to offer the
> package for someone else to maintain and run. I don't have the
> time to do a good job on it: either for developing the script itself
> (it has needed a rewrite for a long time, preferably in a better
> language than /bin/sh) or for running it on a Debian source
> mirror and examining the results.
>
> Dbuild is a tool for unpacking Debian source packages and
> building Debian binary packages from them. It has competition:
> the buildd daemon that is actually being used to compile many
> of the architectures being worked on by Debian. Unlike dbuild,
> buildd actually works well. :)
>
> Because of this situation, before anyone else adopts the
> package, the question should be asked whether there is any
> point in keeping the package alive. Specifically: Is anyone using
> dbuild?

Don't, ...

i actually use dbuild quite often to recompile packages, sure i am not
aware of other posibilities, (does buildd have a package ? can it be
used interactively, and not as a demon ?). It is very nice stuff, and
works quite well, despite its shortcommings.

i just type dbuild package.dsc, and it compiles me the package, i like
it much ...

but not much time to adopt it ... :(

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER