Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 07:57:58PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 09:32:05PM -0500, Brian Servis wrote:
> > Many modern monitors are 'plug-n-play'.  I don't know how it all works
> > but they are able to tell the video card/drivers what frequencies they
> > support, etc.  'Plug-n-play' could be tried first, then either ask or
> > guess conservative.
>
> That's all fine, but did we ever find out if someone were crazy enough to
> pay for the PnP monitor specs (wasn't it $300 or so?) that an
> implementation could be done and properly documented source released?
> Reverse engineering this just does not sound like fun.

Someone said on another mailing list that Display Data Channel (DDC) is
implemented in (recent versions of) XFree86.  DDC is a Vesa standard that
(I gather) lets the monitor talk to a computer, and is the protocol behind
"Plug'n'Play" monitors.

I don't know anything more about DDC, or how it is used in XFree86.  I asked
for further pointers and did not receive a reply.  I imagine the XFree86
sources would have some hints, however.

Andrew