Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Brandon Mitchell wrote:
>   >On Fri, 7 May 1999, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
>   >
>   >> pretty easy: every recent graphic card is pci or agp, so it's detected as
>   >> pci device and listed in the /proc file...
>   >
>   >>From what I understand, this would only give you the video card.  The
>   >other half (and the more painful part in my opinion) is the monitor.  Is
>   >there some way to auto-detect a monitor, or is this a lowest common
>   >denominator problem (i.e. small resolution and refresh)?
>
> Would it be in any way feasible to ask the user to put in his manufacturer's
> floppy and get the necessary data out of that?  The format must be known,
> because every manufacturer must supply data for the Windows registry.

For Corel, maybe.  For Debian, I doubt it.  It would severly limit the
number of monitors supported (I have 4 around here, no disks, and no
M$ to be seen).  Simple resolution, vsync and hsync work for me.  When I
don't know, a conservative guess would work.  I believe Red Hat does this.

Options?
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.dhis.org/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regularly been broken into, beaten, |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.   |
|                                    -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |