Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

*- On  8 May, Brandon Mitchell wrote about "Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal "
> On Sat, 8 May 1999, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
>> Brandon Mitchell wrote:
>>   >On Fri, 7 May 1999, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
>>   >
>>   >> pretty easy: every recent graphic card is pci or agp, so it's detected as
>>   >> pci device and listed in the /proc file...
>>   >
>>   >>From what I understand, this would only give you the video card.  The
>>   >other half (and the more painful part in my opinion) is the monitor.  Is
>>   >there some way to auto-detect a monitor, or is this a lowest common
>>   >denominator problem (i.e. small resolution and refresh)?
>>
>> Would it be in any way feasible to ask the user to put in his manufacturer's
>> floppy and get the necessary data out of that?  The format must be known,
>> because every manufacturer must supply data for the Windows registry.
>
> For Corel, maybe.  For Debian, I doubt it.  It would severly limit the
> number of monitors supported (I have 4 around here, no disks, and no
> M$ to be seen).  Simple resolution, vsync and hsync work for me.  When I
> don't know, a conservative guess would work.  I believe Red Hat does this.
>
> Options?
> Brandon

Many modern monitors are 'plug-n-play'.  I don't know how it all works
but they are able to tell the video card/drivers what frequencies they
support, etc.  'Plug-n-play' could be tried first, then either ask or
guess conservative.

--
Brian